Birth, Sex, Death


I took a 'Fine Art as Illustration' class my last year at SVA and the assignment given to us was to create a series of works under the theme: Birth, Sex and Death. It was the most freedom I'd had at school to dictate the direction of my work since high school and I both craved and dreaded it. 

Thats probably why this series has meant so much to me, in many ways it allowed me to begin focusing on inserting more personal symbols and metaphors into my work. I thought less perhaps about the theme than I did my own memories and stories. I realized that we all have our own meanings attached to subject matter and no matter what you put on that page its going to be seen differently by every person given their own past experiences. 

So here it is, my own personal Birth, Sex, and Death (with a few explanations for each).

Snakes:


When I was a kid living in Texas stories of rattlesnakes in people's backyards, in movies, and in Cowboy culture has made me fascinated by the snake. 


Butterflies and Hydrangeas:


When I was a kid I grabbed a butterfly by its wings and I remember how fragile they were, and how they fell apart in my hands and became like dust. ( I swear I didn't squish it on purpose).


Bird:


I always loved science, and I had wanted to become a biologist when I grew up. I loved looking at pictures of specimen and it wasn't until much later that I realized these were collected corpses. 


Fox:


This was the last piece I did in the series, its perhaps the roughest of the bunch but its one of my favorites. Easter egg hunting always reminded me of when a fox would hunt for a bird's nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment